Saturday, September 5, 2015

Use an efficient uninterruptible power supply, especially for computers you don’t turn off.

I almost never turn off my work computer. To protect it, I use a “green” uninterruptible power supply for it and most of the peripherals.

This has three benefits. First of all, a good universal power supply regulates the energy use of all of the devices plugged into it, minimizing the energy wasted from “switching” from device to device. Using a Kill-A-Watt energy tester, I found that the unit I use uses about five fewer watts than an ordinary power strip with the same devices plugged into it. That’s a non-stop around the clock savings of about 43.8 kilowatts per year, or $4.38.

Second, it also functions like a SmartStrip, with a master outlet and several slaves. I turn my workstation off only for long trips, and the power supply automatically cuts power to my monitor, my printer, my speakers, my external hard drive, and my internet router. All told, these devices use about 100 watts of energy on average, and the strip eliminates about seven days of use for these devices a year. This adds up to 16.8 kilowatt hours per year, or $1.68.

Third, since there’s a battery back-up inside the unit and also surge protection, I’m protected against power surges and short-term power losses. While this is difficult to calculate directly into dollars, if we experience two power losses per year and two significant surges and this device protects my equipment and keeps me from losing data, it’s well worth the investment.

1 comments:

  1. That's pretty neat, I've been looking to use a UPS too, well again. Good to know they got surge protection too.


    uninterruptible power supply in the Philippines
    by Panther Electrical

    ReplyDelete